The Best Juneteenth Recipes Web Story is a collection of recipes used to bring people together through fellowship. Furthermore, Juneteenth is a day celebrated on June 19th every year. Finally, this holiday commemorates the Emancipation Proclamation or the day enslaved people were freed.
What is Juneteenth?
According to PBS, “The holiday’s origin story begins in Galveston, Texas, when enslaved people were told of their emancipation on June 19, 1865. However, they were not aware that they had been “freed” two years prior by President Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863.
Unfortunately, slaveholders in Texas kept the information to themselves, extending the period of exploitation of slaved people. Therefore, on June 19, 1866, the first Juneteenth observance to recognize freedom from slavery in the U.S. was held and celebrated in Texas. Finally, in 2021, Juneteenth became a federal holiday after Congress passed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act.”
How to Use This Web Story
As with many holidays, Juneteenth is all about fellowship, music, and good food! Furthermore, making Southern classics, sharing them amongst friends and family, and educating them about history help others learn, and grow in awareness, acceptance, and empathy. In addition, food also encourages others to enjoy their time together in order to create memories that last a lifetime.
Furthermore, the colors represented through this food represent symbolic colors of the African culture. In addition, The Best Juneteenth Recipes Web Story was designed to include 10 of the best recipes to make and celebrate June 19th.
Finally, many of these recipes are from talented, African American and Jamaican chefs. In conclusion, their personal blog posts and recipes give background on what this special day means to them, and how you can continue to honor Juneteenth for years to come.
What Recipes Are Included?
The Best Juneteenth Recipes Web Story includes the following top 10 recipes:
- Summer Succotash
- Geechee-Style Fried Okra and Shrimp
- Buttermilk-Brined Southern Fried Chicken
- Cornbread Sweet Potato Cobbler
- Watermelon and Tomato Salad with Hibiscus Gastrique
- Collard Greens with Coconut Dressing
- Southern Fried Fish
- Island Jollof Rice
- Texas Strawberry Crunch Sheet Cake
- Grilled Hot Links and Chow Chow
Other Web Stories
- The Ultimate Breakfast Guide
- The Ultimate Guide to Ground Venison Recipes
- Mardi Gras Favorites
- The Best St. Patty’s Day Recipes
- Best St. Patrick’s Day Web Story
- Ramadan Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Spring Pesto Recipes
- Easter Desserts for Kids
- Kid-Friendly Movie Night Snacks
- Best Passover Recipes
- Best Easter Recipes to Make with Kids
- The Best Hydrating Summer Drinks
- Best Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Kid-Friendly Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Teacher Appreciation Treats
- Mother’s Day Recipes
- Best Sourdough Dutch Oven Loaves
- Top 10 Summer Grain Bowls
- Best Grilling Recipes for the Summer
- Family Game Night Recipes
- Kid-Friendly Summer Snacks
- The Best Father’s Day Recipes